At Salem, we believe a generous life is a key measure of spiritual growth. Everything we believe about giving and generosity stems from Paul’s words to Timothy:
“Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment. Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others. By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience true life.”
Generosity is the heart of God. God is a giving God. He gave us His best in Jesus and continues to provide for our needs. Generosity is God’s plan for everyone. We are recreated at our baptism as a new person with God’s heart replacing ours and called to reflect His character to the world.
Generosity is about placing all God gives us under His wisdom. God gives to us from His abundance to be used to His Glory, the benefit of others, and our enjoyment. Generosity is about what God wants for you, not from you. As we honor God with using His money as He intended, He promises a life full of blessings today and for future generations.
Leaving a Legacy of Generosity
A good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children. Proverbs 13:22.
Lifetime Plan for Giving
- How will you distribute your property when God calls you to Himself?
More than 70% of the population doesn’t have a will and of those who do, 70% don’t like the plan they have! Salem’s certified Gift Planning Counselor will personally assist you, at no cost, in developing a plan to distribute your assets to heirs in a way that blesses them and builds relationships rather than cause tension. You will also discover how to bless the ministries you care about in the most effective way. During the estate planning process, you will consult an attorney and possibly a certified financial planner and/or a certified public accountant. It is important each of these professionals is familiar with issues related to estate planning and particularly with your desire to include a charitable giving component to your plans. Salem’s Office of Financial Services assists you at all stages of the planning process. With direct access to the resources of the LCMS Foundation, we will answer questions, research helpful information, and encourage you as you seek to bless your family and God’s work with His resources.
Benefits of a Christian Estate and Gift Plan:
- Peace - A Christian estate and gift plan is designed to help you provide for those you love, protect you and your family, and support the ministries you have cared about during your lifetime.
- Provision - With a well-prepared Christian estate plan, you can give loved ones the property you have acquired in the right way, at the right time and at minimum cost.
- Protection - A thorough plan will provide for you as you age, increase your lifetime security, and achieve your goals for family and ministry. You may need to designate a specific person to manage your property, help doctors and medical staff with important decisions, so you receive the best possible care.
- Spiritual Heritage –A Christian estate plan acknowledges God’s ownership of all, helps prepare the next generation of stewards, and ensures your final act on earth is one of godly generosity. Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours...Wealth and honor come from you; 1 Chronicles 29
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all. But whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." — Martin Luther